In this post, we will be demonstrating how to download WMS layers from QGIS Cloud using uDig. uDig is a Desktop GIS software freely available for download on the web.
For our demonstration, qgis cloud provides a plugin to qgis desktop which acts as an interface between the cloud and desktop applications.
To follow this post, you should have a user account with qgis cloud and should also have installed the qgis cloud plugin on your desktop qgis software.
Download sample data by clicking link below:
Publish a WMS using QGIS Cloud account.
1. Launch QGIS and click on cloud settings icon on the main menu bar.
2. In the QGIS window, click on Login and log in with qgis cloud user and password.
3.Next we select a layer-329secroads from our qgis browser tree. This is the layer we will upload into our qgis cloud account.
4. Click on the Upload tab and the layer on the map canvas will automatically be placed in the qgis cloud upload window. Click Upload.
5. The upload message will show on the left bottom corner of the qgis cloud plugin window.
6. Once upload is complete, the system will prompt you to save the project.
7. Click on the Map tab and then click on Publich map to create a map from the layer that was just uploaded.
8. The map is published in web map format, mobile web map and a public web map service is also created. Copy down the URL of the Public WMS (red boxed on the screenshot below.
Downloading the WMS using uDig software
9. We will be using the free license uDig software to download the WMS we just published in our QGIS Cloud. Launch uDig and click on Layer – Add
10. A dialog window will open. Click on the option- Web Map Server to connect to a Web Mapping service. Click Next,
11. Paste the URL address earlier copied into the address bar and click Next.
12. Once a connection is successful, the WMS layer is located in the map server as seen in the screenshot below.
13. Click on the wms connection and add to the current map. The WMS layer is added to the map canvas.
Thank you for following the blog.